Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Putters, What kind do you need?

With so many different manufactures out there today promoting all different sorts of putters, I think it is harder today for the average guy to go out and simply just pick one. To build on that point, I do not want any of my readers to just go out and pick one either. I think taking the extra time and effort to get numbers on monitors and figure out the proper lie, loft and height for your putter is crucial. There are three types of putters I want to look at today and talk about the benefits and weaknesses each of them posses. The first, is the conventional style putter. It is commonly found out on tour and has been around for a while. Scotty Cameron is predominantly the leading putter maker out on tour and has just released his 2014 New Port Series. By clicking on this link you can get full in depth information on these putters and all of the specs and customizations you can ask for. I enjoy using this putter on faster greens, I think it gets a true role coming off the face and will get your ball rolling on its correct line. The thing I want you all to be careful about is just going out onto this website and going to a customization page with out getting a lesson or put on a monitor with your local PGA Professional.  The next putter I want to talk about is the mallet putter. This has been made most recently popular by Brandt Snedeker. He uses a pop action stroke that gets the ball up in the air. Not really suggested for faster greens but I think it is great for slower grainy greens. The odyssey putters have always been great and that is the kind Brandt uses. One putter stood out to me recently at my local golf shop and that was the Ping Scottsdale B60. I like how Ping has made this slick looking design into a mallet and with their groove technology it allows for a true role with the blade while allowing for the mallet feel. The last putter I want to look at is the blade putter. Phil Mickelson has been seen using this putter as of late and found some success with it out in the British Open. It is a putter that lays down on the ground a little more and allows the players hands to swing more freely. This could be good for some players but not others. I find myself pushing more putts with my blade and I have not used it for some time. However, it can be a great putter for the right stroke. The Versa 9 is one of Odyssey's blade types and I encourage you to check it out! Just remember the most important thing is to get the correct numbers on your stroke and go from there, also confidence is more important than anything anyone ever tells you!

No comments:

Post a Comment