We face these putts many times during a round, the dreaded short putt for par, birdie, bogey (hopefully not much more than that) and too many times I see players get nervous over these shots. One of the biggest problems is that they get out of their normal pr-shot routine. I think with these five tips you will be able to confidently get up to any putt with confidence and know it will have a chance to go in.
1. The tee drill
This first tip is a great drill I have been using over the years and many touring pros use as well. When you are on the practice green find a spot on the green about five feet from the hole, (you can choose whatever distance you want but make it relatively close to the hole). Take a few practice putts and see how much the putt breaks, it would be ideal to find a pretty straight putt when first doing this drill. Next place about two feet in front of you, where the line of the putt is, two tees that are slightly larger in width than the ball. Next place a ball down and set your putter up to the ball and place two more tees just outside of your width of the putter. These two guides will act as indicators of how the ball is rolling and where the club face is at impact. If at anytime the ball or club face strikes a tee then you know that you did not have it on the correct path or line.
2. Draw a line on your ball
I see a lot of people placing the ball down on the green without any indication of where the ball is lined up and coincidentally not knowing the line of the putt. Some teachers will tell you to just pick a spot on the green and putt over that to indicate how much break you should be playing. I think this is a fine tip, but there is more you can and should do. I am a visual player, I need more in my head than just a made up spot on the green, take a sharpie out and draw a line across your ball. Every golf store sells ball markers that make it easier to draw lines. When you are now reading and placing your ball down on the green, you can have a visual line on the ball and in your head. This will apply to all lengths of putts and will help improve your makes.
3. Find a practice routine that works, and REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT
I am not a fan of slow golf, but I do think you should take your time on reading the greens and finding a correct line. This becomes more important as you get closer and closer to the hole. It is key that you find a rhythm and stick to that routine no matter the distance (minus a tap in, no one likes THAT guy). Even when you are on the practice green, I want you to still read every putt, put the line down and go through your normal routine like you were having a putt to win the tournament.
4. Use one hand to putt when you are practicing
This drill is something that confuses a lot of people at first, but I think it has significance. If you are right handed, you will be using your right hand, left handers use your left hand. If you are putting cross handed then just use whatever hand is on the bottom. The bottom hand when putting acts as the engine that drives the putter through the putt. A lot of putts missed happen because the stroke "broke down" well what does this mean? I see a lot of short putts missed simply because the player did not follow through on the stroke and left it outside of his target line or "pushed it". By practicing putts with your bottom hand only, not only will this help you drive through the putt and make solid contact, but it will build your confidence up. If you can make putts with one hand then two hands should be easy!
No comments:
Post a Comment